Thursday, 15 October 2009

Polish Wycinanki

This is my latest piece. I have blogged a "how to" showing the process I used for creating this papercutting.

Wednesday, 14 October 2009

Wycinanki "How To"

A little while ago I was made aware of the Polish art of papercutting, known as Wycinanki. This involves cutting a black silhouette and then overlaying it with brightly coloured collaged details. Many wycinanki are symmetrical patterns, cut using the folded paper method and a pair of scissors. But I don't enjoy working that way. So I'm having a go at my own version - not symmetrical and cut with a knife. This is my initial sketch.

Here, I've added more detail to the sketch and started the cutting. The paper is black on the other side. The initial silhouette will be fairly simple and I hope to get the detail in there with the coloured overlays. I'm excited about this project. The circle is approximately 25cm diameter. If you want to see some genuine Polish wycinanki, take a look at my flickr favourites

The picture below shows the silhouette base for the papercutting. The fun starts now with cutting the collage overlays.

In the picture below, I have started experimenting with some coloured overlays. They're not stuck down yet, as I still haven't made up my mind and also I want to do a little bit more detail cutting on the black base (from the white "wrong" side) before I start sticking paper to the front (black) side. Now that the circle is cut, it measures 27cm diameter.

Now I've started sticking some collage on the black base. The only bit I'm not sure if I like, is the bird's head and crest - it looks like it's wearing an Egyptian headdress! Oh well - I'm still learning!

This is the final piece. Overall, I'm pretty pleased with the result, but there are things that need improving. I think I could have done more with the bird.

Measures 30cm dia (including mount)

Monday, 12 October 2009

This is the finished papercutting. It measures 40cm x 55cm. I'm pretty pleased with the way it all turned out in the end. It definitely needed the border and the heart needs the different colour. Popular opinion seems to favour backing it with the blue, so I'm fairly certain I'll go that way, but won't rush a decision! Thanks everyone for following this project and keeping me encouraged! x

Juneberry Leaves and Berries papercutting
40cm x 55cm

Wednesday, 7 October 2009

I hope to go to this exhibition next month. Looks interesting.

I decided that the papercutting needed a border. Shouldn't take me too long to finish it off.

Leaves and Berries papercutting (40cm x 55cm)

Monday, 5 October 2009

Here are some colour options for backgrounds for this papercutting. I'm leaning towards the top one (sepia background), but the blue is nice too. I think the red is a bit Christmassy. Off to Paperchase tomorrow to hunt for more gorgeous paper possibilities - so no firm decisions made yet.